Sunday, April 1, 2007

Cookin' in the kitchen

Living and eating in Vallarta means you have to adapt if you want to stay sane.

Rule #1:
Not every grocery store will carry everything you need.
Rule #2:
The store that carried an item you love will probably not have it the next time you go there.
Rule #3:
If you see something you never see or rarely see in the store, buy it! as it will probably never be in stock again.
Rule #4:
When you can no longer find yellow lemons at the market, make limeade!

I love to cook.
I always have but I really enjoy cooking even more since I moved to Puerto Vallarta and I have a boyfriend to cook for.
My mom always told me the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and if he likes what he has eaten he will be like a cat and always stick around the place where he is well fed.
I guess Mom was right.
I cooked a dinner for Carlos when we first started dating and over three years later we are still going strong. Granted, he is a few kilos heavier but he now goes to the gym to work off my dinners and desserts.
I have to admit, I am a meanie. Carlos goes to the gym and I whip up his favorite dessert to greet him when he returns. The next day he is off to the gym and I am planning the next temptation. He complains but he doesn't really mean it as in the end, he wants his cake and to eat it too.

I am not a gourmet cook by any means. I am a real cook with a knack for creativity and being able to make something delish out of whatever I can get my hands on. I tend to cook without recipes and I pretty much eyeball everything unless I am baking which by chemical reaction tends to require precise measurements. Even then, I tend to adapt the recipe to my tastes or my diet. Since I am diabetic, I often try to cut the sugars and carbs in desserts and breads to make them better and I have had some great successes. On the other hand, when I am making desserts for others, I tend to go all out and a simple chocolate cake ends up a triple chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and homemade hot fudge sauce. Hey, if I have to be diabetic maybe I can convert some others to join me! ;)

No comments: